Now Playing – Master Hands

Now Playing on christinebarry.com

Now Playing – Master Hands

This is dedicated to my grandfather and his fellow 1936-37 Flint Sit Down Strikers.

It is the first of four parts. It was made by GM in 1936 just months before the strike.

update: I don’t know what’s going on with youtube, but I haven’t been able to upload the other videos … I’ve tried several times since I’ve uploaded this one, and it times out every time … I will have to try it from another pc. :(

If you like this post, subscribe to my new email newsletter, and read me at the Detroit News Political Weblog.

Comments

1. Hello Christine! Great video – it inspired me to pull together a bunch of resources on the Flint Sit-Down Strike on Michigan in Pictures.

I think from our comfortable vantage point 70-some years in the future, it’s hard to imagine the conditions in Michigan’s factories in the 30s. The link I found to an audio archive has some interesting accounts.

2. Bill Schmeelk says:

The Master Hands film is amazing to watch. All four parts can be seen on the internet archives at the following site: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=master%20hands%20AND%20mediatype%3Amovies
    However, just over 5 minutes of the film is missing. The missing section is between the third and fourth part. Does anyone know where the full 33 minute film might be available for viewing?

3. christine says:

I don’t know where to find it, but I would love to get it all.

Hopefully the missing 5 minutes still exist and haven’t been destroyed. So much film from that era has been lost permanently.

4. Christine, I would like to email you w/ some questions re: PSU Protests. Please get back to me ASAP! Thanks!
    CD

Trackbacks

1. [...] ChristineBarry.com features a link to a GM-produced film about the workers, produced just a few months before the strike, “Master Hands.” She has earlier posts on the strike, too. [...]

2. [...] A movie produced by General Motors in 1936 called Master Hands that Christine Barry posted to her blog provided the impetus for today’s Labor Day holiday post. She dedicates it to her grandfather and it’s likely that many of us in Michigan have some relative who took some part (for or against) in the tumultuous labor struggles. Below are several links about Michigan’s most famous strike, the Flint Sitdown Strike of 1936-37 at GM’s Fisher Body #1 plant in Flint. [...]