Chapter 1 Written Exercise
Due: Tuesday, Jan 16
1. You’re assigned to work on a network problem, and have developed three hypotheses regarding the problem. Based on your experience, you see that Hypothesis A has a 65% chance of being the cause of the problem, Hypothesis B has a 30% chance, and Hypothesis C has a 5% chance. You also estimate that it would take two hours to test Hypothesis A, 1.5 hours to test Hypothesis B, and 15 minutes to test Hypothesis C.
In what order should you test your hypotheses?
2. Which factors should you consider in deciding which hypotheses to try first when solving a network problem, assuming you’ve already tried quick fixes? (Choose two)
A. Whether the solution involves software or hardware
B. The cost of trying the potential solution
C. Whether the solution concerns NetWare or other software
D. The probability that the fix is the right one
3. Computer components can be destroyed by electrostatic discharge (ESD) as low as 20 or 30 volts.
4. To prevent electrostatic discharge (ESD), you should always store and transport network components in anti-static bags.
5. What steps might be involved in simplifying a system on the network so that you can expose a problem? (choose two)
A. Downing the server and rebooting workstations to see if they start correctly.
B. B. Replacing the cable that the network uses
C. C. Bypassing Autoexec.bat and Config.sys when booting.
D. D. Removing cards and controllers one at a time to expose conflicts.
6. You’re assigned to work with a NetWare user whose workstation hangs intermittently. You consider taking the following steps:
1. Determine if others on the network are having similar problems
2. Prioritize your hypotheses about the problem to decide which one to work on first.
3. Work on the system to eliminate one possibility at a time until you find the answer.
4. Write a description of the problem and your solution for a system logbook.
5. Spend time explaining the problem and its solution to the user.
How many of these steps are an appropriate part of the troubleshooter’s rule?
B. All 5
C. None of them
7. You have been hired to design a repair facility for a large computer manufacturer which is located in a dry climate.
Which of the following measures would be useful to take, given this environment? (choose two)
A. Static protection mats with wrist straps
B. Styrofoam IC holders
C. Static ion remover
D. A means to keep the humidity in the room between 70% and 90%
8. Which tasks are parts of the preliminary troubleshooting process? (choose four)
A. Turning all components off and back on again
B. Backing up data
C. Removing all expansion slot boards and replacing them with spares
D. Determining if all cables are connected properly
E. Determining if the user performed a procedure incorrectly
9. What are some of the benefits of implementing an electrostatic discharge (ESD) control program? (choose four)
A. Fewer difficult-to-trace, intermittent problems
B. Less need for spare hardware
C. Possibility of obtaining refunds for damaged merchandise
D. Less downtime
E. Fewer unnecessary service visits
10. A user complains to you that the Windows 95 workstation she is using hangs intermittently when she is working on the employee pension file on a NetWare 4.11 server.
Of the following steps, which should you take before you instigate a thorough troubleshooting plan? (choose three)
A. Examine the payroll file for clues as to what may be wrong
B. Save and backup the data the user is working
C. Use LANalyser? for Windows to decode some of the packets the user is sending
D. Verify that the network board is cabled properly
E. Talk to the user and verify that she knows how to use her program and her equipment
11. When executing the plan to solve a problem, which of the following should you NOT do?
A. Use “forward-chaining” during your testing
B. Test your hypotheses simultaneously
C. Use the Support Connection CD to research your hypotheses
D. Test your hypotheses by changing only one variable at a time
12. Which facts should you record in the system documentation? (choose two)
A. Seven hard disks failed in the first quarter of 1993; they were replaced with CK IDEs
B. This company pays its bills on the seventh of every onth and sends accounts payable to a service bureau
C. None of the ARCNet boards on this segment have node addresses greater than 255
D. LANalyser? for Windows shows an Ethernet collision count greater than 0 on this segment
E. A username CONSILIER GONZALES works in the accounting department and has been trained to use WordPerfect and Excel
Note: These are notes from my lectures as an IT instructor. Notes are from 1999-2001, so there may be little relevance to contemporary technologies. Still, it seemed like a shame to delete all of this work, so here they are. I hope someone finds them helpful.